Does your home suck (in air)?
July 12, 2017



When you pull a door in your home, does it feel like someone is pushing it closed from the other side? Do you feel random drafts of air sweep through your hallway? Do some of your rooms feel unusually hot or cold?

 

…If you have experienced these strange things, your home may have fallen victim to negative air pressure!

 

Negative air pressure is caused when more air is leaving the home than is being replenished from the outside. This difference in pressure causes the air to be sucked in through any number of passages including bathroom & kitchen fans, fireplaces and clothes dryers. As modern homes are built more efficient and air-tight than ever before, the likelihood of a negative pressure imbalance is even greater.

 

So why does this all matter? Well apart from the strange temperature changes and door-slamming, negative pressure has a far worse consequence- it can suck toxic carbon monoxide (CO) gas into your home that can lead to CO poisoning (see our November 2016 blog for more on CO poisoning).

 

CO is the by-product of faulty gas heaters, furnaces and boilers and through the help of negative air pressure, CO can enter a home undetected and cause death in minutes. In 2010, Victorian boys Chase and Tyler Robinson died from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a combination of an un-serviced gas heater and exhaust fans that created negative pressure in their home.

 

Luckily, Detector Inspector has the tools and experience to check your gas appliances are not emitting toxic CO gas, preventing tragedies like what happened to Chase and Tyler Robinson from happening again.

 

Have your gas appliances checked today with Detector Inspector.