We are now in the depths of winter, so many of you will be turning up your heating devices to escape the cold. Along with bringing warmth, if these heaters are not properly maintained, they may also bring the added danger of fire or carbon monoxide poisoning. It is important to keep in mind some safety tips to reduce these potential dangers.
Here is a list of important tips that everyone should be aware of when heating their home!
- Energy Safe Victoria recommends having your heating units professionally checked for carbon monoxide leaks every 2 years
- All heaters need space! Keep anything that can burn, such as paper, bedding or furniture at least 1 meter away from fireplaces, stoves and space heaters
- Do not put space heaters on rugs or carpets, near bedding or drapes, and keep children and pets away.
- Do not use heating equipment to dry wet clothing
- Never use the stove or oven to heat your home
- Turn heaters off before leaving or going to bed
Allow Detector Inspector to manage the smoke alarms and gas appliances in your properties so you can stay warm AND safe all winter long.