When it comes to carbon monoxide, there are some scary facts out there. According to Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) 9 people have been killed in Victoria by carbon monoxide poisoning in the past decade alone. The most frightening part of this is that the deadly gas responsible is colourless, odourless and virtually undetectable without the proper equipment – which is exactly why is it often referred to as ‘the silent killer’. Technically, carbon monoxide is a by-product of the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. In the home environment, carbon monoxide is produced by faulty gas appliances, often caused by a lack of, or improper servicing.

The legislation with regard to gas and electrical servicing is clear. The Residential Tenancies Act (1997) section (68) states that “A landlord must ensure that the rented premises are maintained in good repair.” This includes gas appliances provided by the landlord. Furthermore, Energy Safe Victoria states “Failure to ensure gas and electric appliances are properly installed or correctly maintained according to the manufacturer’s instructions could not only potentially kill or harm the tenants, but could cause significant property damage and expose the landlord to civil liability and potentially costly litigation. There might also be unintended impacts on the landlord’s insurance if injury or damage is found to have been caused by poorly serviced or unsafe appliances.”

The team at Detector Inspector not only offer annual smoke detector maintenance but also comprehensive carbon monoxide gas services. Priding ourselves on the quality of our servicing we engage only licensed, qualified gas plumbers who are authorised by the Plumbing Industry Commission (PIC). The combination of state-of-the-art carbon monoxide testing equipment, specialised industry knowledge and comprehensive reporting means you can rest assured that tenants lives are kept safe, landlord’s properties are secure and you remain compliant with legislation and protected from potential litigation.

For further information download the ESV’s ‘Gas & Electricity Safety in the Home’ responsibilities brochure here.

Contact us today and let us take the heat off you with complete smoke detector and carbon monoxide gas servicing for tenant safety and the protection of landlords and agents.