New fire safety standards for Short Term Rental Accommodation in New South Wales take effect on 1 March 2022. Our STRA Fire Safety Starter Pack is a simple solution for properties rented to short-term guests.
Do you own or manage a property that’s rented out for short stays? Short-term rental accommodation (the type usually rented through platforms like Stayz and AirBnB) is subject to different fire safety standards than long-term residential rentals. With new rules applied from March 2022, now’s the time to make sure the fire safety measures in your STRA property are up to date.
New rules for Short Term Rental Accommodation
Effective 1 March 2022, the NSW Government has introduced a new policy for STRA, including new fire safety standards.
The new rules clarify that STRA activities of three months or less are not covered by the residential tenancy framework. This means that STRA needs its own set of standards to ensure guests are kept safe.
The fire safety standards apply to both hosted (where the owner resides on the premises) and non-hosted accommodation.
Short term rental accommodation can present different safety risks than long-term rentals because guests are less familiar with the building. The new fire safety standards for STRA are designed to account for this with enhanced early warning and extra safety measures.
What are the new fire safety rules?
The new rules set out mandatory standards for smoke and heat alarms, exit doors, portable fire extinguishers, fire blankets and evacuation diagrams.
Because of the increased risks for temporary guests, the new STRA rules have a couple of key differences from the smoke alarm requirements for long-term residential rental properties.
- Smoke alarms in STRA properties must be powered by either the mains electricity supply or a non-removable battery with a 10-year life expectancy
- All alarms in an STRA property must be interconnected
Staying on top of the fire safety in your STRA is a big undertaking. We’ve designed a solution that addresses the new rules with a minimum of hassle to you, to give you confidence that you’re protected and your guests are safe.
Introducing our Short Term Rental Accommodation Fire Safety Starter Pack
Our Short Term Rental Accommodation Fire Safety Starter Pack available for agency managed properties ensures that they meet a number of important elements of the new fire safety requirements mandated by the NSW government.
The starter pack is tailored to each property so you only pay for what you need.
- Requirements vary slightly depending on whether the property is a Class 1a building (house) or Class 2 building (apartment) – we understand the different rules so you don’t have to, and we tailor our service to suit.
- If we attend your property to service it and it already complies with the new STRA standards, we’ll service the alarm and just charge our standard smoke alarm safety service rate. Where no alarms are found, we’ll include the first new alarm in our annual rate as well.
- If additional alarms are required to make the property compliant, we’ll provide them and invoice per alarm. We have also bundled the fire blanket & extinguisher, so that you’re not paying for extra unnecessary items.
See our simple package pricing structure here.
All of our services are carried out by smoke alarm technicians who have more specialist training than a regular tradie. Our service is guided by our expert knowledge of the new legislation to ensure owners and managers fulfil all compliance obligations.
Best of all, our technology tracks and maintains compliance at properties on a rolling basis. Enrol your properties in an annual STRA fire safety service and we’ll maintain uninterrupted compliance at a low fixed rate, year after year, with virtually no admin and no hassle to you.
Don’t wait – get it sorted today
With the new STRA fire safety standards coming into effect on 1 March 2022, now’s the time to make sure your STRA property is compliant.
If you’re already one of our valued clients, contact your account manager today to get your solution for STRA safety.
If you manage short-term rental accommodation—has your current compliance management provider offered you a tailored solution? If not, it’s time to switch to Australia’s longest-running expert compliance management provider.