From 29 March 2021, the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (Vic) requires gas safety checks at residential rental properties every two years. The gas safety check must be carried out by a Type A Appliance Servicing accredited gas fitter and must meet the requirements outlined in the Residential Tenancies Regulations 2021 ("Regulations").
In order to complete a gas safety check, it’s mandatory to complete a full service of all gas appliances. Without this step, the gas safety check is incomplete and the property is not compliant.
1. Full service of all gas appliances connected to the main property gas supply
At Detector Inspector, we complete a full service of all gas appliances connected to the property’s main gas supply. This includes the following steps:
- Clean dust and debris from appliances including burner, pilot, fan, filters and air intakes
- Check the integrity of the heat exchanger
- Check the gas supply and appliance operating pressures
- Check that the gas appliance burner ignition is reliable and complete
- Check for any gas appliance flame abnormality
- Check the operation of the gas appliance, including safety devices
- Complete a combustion spillage (carbon monoxide) test on all heating appliances and internal, open flued appliances
- A full service of a gas heater will typically take 60-75 minutes.
- A full service of other gas appliances will typically take 15-30 minutes.
Why it’s important?
A full service of all gas appliances every 2 years is strongly recommended by ESV and is now required by the RTA. The checks ensure that the appliances are running efficiently, that there are not dangerous cracks in the heat exchanger that could leak poisonous carbon monoxide into the home and that they are operating safely and effectively.
Carbon monoxide is poisonous, odourless and can be deadly. Any installation that is leaking carbon monoxide must be immediately capped off for the safety of occupants.
Where the property is enrolled in our Safer Home subscription plan, we will replace faulty or damaged thermocouples at no charge.
2. Gas installation checks
In addition to full service of all gas appliances connected to the main property gas supply, we also complete checks of each gas installation. During the service we:
- Check pressure retention on the main gas line
- Ensure access for servicing & adjustment
- Check that electrically safe
- Check that gas installations, including gas cookers, are adequately restrained to avoid tipping over
- Check that gas installations meet clearance requirements from any combustible surfaces
- Where LPG cylinders are present, check that they and associated gas components are installed correctly
- Check that there is adequate ventilation for appliances to act safely
- Check that gas isolation valves are installed, as required
- Check gas appliances for evidence of certification
These checks take approx. 20 – 50 minutes.
Some important information to note
- Testing and checks are required to be carried out every 2 years. Where the gas regulator is unable to be accessed to complete the tests, it’s impossible to certify the compliance of the installation and it is a requirement that work is undertaken to permit servicing and adjustment.
- Sudden movement of unrestrained gas installations could disconnect the gas line into the appliance, with potentially catastrophic effect. It is a requirement that gas installations are restrained.
- Incorrectly installed LPG cylinders and components can present a significant risk to the health and safety of occupants.
- Inadequate ventilation for gas appliances can present a significant risk to the health and safety of occupants.
- Gas isolation valves act as emergency isolation valves and are required to be installed to enable rapid shut off of the gas flow in the case of an emergency.
- Where the property is enrolled in our Safer Home subscription plan, we will rectify certain compliance issues including basic PTR line extensions, reconnection of minor loose ductwork, minor flue repositioning, securing of freestanding oven, gas regulator rotation and gas cooktop raising at no charge.
Download our easy reference checklist
We have picked out the essential elements of the gas check from the respective standards and created a checklist that set out the main checks and testing required in the plainest English we could.
We are aware that some other providers are failing to complete all the required tests. If you are not currently enrolled in our gas safety service, please ensure you validate that all of these checks, including a full service of each gas appliance, is included in any service provided.
We have worked closely and collaboratively with Energy Safe Victoria and Victorian Building Authority to ensure that our gas safety service meets all the requirements outlined in the Residential Tenancies Regulations 2021 ("Regulations").